But on Tuesday night, I went to see Black Swan (the new Natalie Portman) film and 20 minutes early in the ticket line, the session was already full! Maybe because it was Black Swan. Maybe because it was cheap Tuesdays. Either way, we ended up going to a friend’s house and watching Lady and the Tramp and the Hunchback of Notre Dame.
As the Hunchback started, it occurred to me that this would be a great classic Disney film to do as a related text for Belonging!
Related Text Potential:
Area of Study: Belonging
Here are a few points to think about:
- How does Quasimodo’s relationship with Frollo demonstrate the concepts of ownership and obedience in Belonging?
- What prevents Quasimodo, Esmeralda (and the gypsies), and Phoebus from belonging?
- Is their lack of belonging a matter of choice?
- How do these characters demonstrate the concepts of individuality and prejudice in Belonging?
- The outcasts form their own sense of belonging, despite their exclusion from the main society. How is this shown?
- How does the film demonstrate the deep need for belonging through Quasimodo?
- IMDB quotes page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116583/quotes
- Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hunchback_of_Notre_Dame_%281996_film%29
- Song lyrics from the film: http://www.fpx.de/fp/Disney/Lyrics/Hunchback.html